Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hemingway's Reaction to a Current Event


 As I turn on my television I hear the faint sounds of sadness ringing throughout the air. As I turn the volume up I know it is reality. The crashing of a military plane in South Africa, a place I once visited. Military planes crash quite often but it’s the overall sadness of all of them that I am feeling remorseful about. It crashed among the beautiful mountains I always find myself dreaming about, and it huts to know such pain can endure so high up in God’s land. It was headed the hometown of Nelson Mandela and even more shockingly the plane was carrying doctors that were in charge of President Mandela’s health. I sometimes wonder, is this conspiracy? When military planes are shot down it always seems that someone on board was important. Important in social status, because every life and death is meaningful or sad for someone out there and President Mandela probably believes in that as well. Mandela is a man I admire, even faced with death he looked promisingly towards to future, especially in the case of him fighting against oppression of blacks in South Africa. As I turn the television off because I can’t stand to hear anymore sadness in this world I hear something tapping at my window. Walking over to the window I look and there is a bird starting to build a nest right on the outside ledge of the window near the corner. There are three little white speckled eggs nestled already inside of the nest and my mind begins to wonder again. Why would this bird choose my window with the possibility of it crashing down and being so high up on the apartment building? I guess the bird only wants protection of her young, despite the height, higher up and closer to the heavens, just like the airplane that came soaring down in the beautiful mountains. After watching this I finally come to realize life is fragile just like the eggs and airplane and you have to live and soar high to get what you want, despite the sad outcome that could arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment